Saturday, September 30, 2006

Owwwww

You know, people have told me about migraine headaches - but I never really REALLY knew what they were like until this past Wednesday night.

All day Wednesday I felt kinda.... off. Slightly headache-y & like I was coming down with something. Also really tired. I figured it was just a hold over from the night before and that I'd catch up with my sleep when I got home. The kids were w/X and J coming over later.

Didn't happen. I was in the middle of making the kids' lunch when all of a sudden: Must Lie Down Right Now. And there I stayed for the next hour - alternatively sweating and shivering, feeling like I was going to be sick, head hurting so badly that I just thought it would pop off.

Then, by about 9:30 or so, it was fine.

So in reading up about migraines, I find out that they occur most frequently in women between the ages of 35 - 45 - because that is the time in their lives when they "do the most" - kids, job, etc.

"... migraine headaches are more common in women. In fact, about three out of four people who have migraines are women. They are most common in women between the ages of 35 and 45; this is often a time that women have more job, family, and social commitments. Women also tend to report higher levels of pain, longer headache time, and more symptoms, such as nausea and vomiting.
Hormones may also trigger migraine. Over half of women with migraine report having them right before, during, or after their period. Others get them for the first time when taking birth control pills. And some women start getting them when they enter menopause."

So, I pretty much fall into all the categories. Granted I've been under lots of stress for at least the past oh, two, three, four, five, six.... seveneightnineten years - one could argue that Tuesday night was especially stressful - plus I had just gotten my period, plus just started a new birth control. Plus lets not forget the mice. Never had mice before.

By the time J was over - I was pretty much fine... but I tell you -- the fear that I would get another was horrible! Hope to hell it doesn't happen again.

No comments: