Monday, October 29, 2007

Just because my life is so dull...

My sitter decided to quit.


Guess I should explain. I have a new sitter - started in September. She is absolutely great, but is 16 years old. After two weeks she asked if she could come late two days each week - because of some school thing. Ummm... late? Who will pick up the boys? That's kinda why I hired you... But, her mom stepped in & picks up the boys two days each week. She comes about 15 minutes after.

But, there's been lots of little stuff like that - asking if she could leave early, come a bit later... and each time I've actually been able to work it out. I believe in flexibilty. I'll do what I can to accommodate your schedule(although I absolutely expect the other person to do the same.)

Then yesterday I get an email from her "I can't work Monday. Have Dr's appointment." Now, I'm already leaving work early Wednesday to take the boys trick or treating before they go to their Dad's that night, then I'm off Friday (going away for the weekend w/J!!) so leaving work early Monday is not really much of an option. My boss is nice, but....

So I asked: Can it be another day?

No. It can't. So I called her. Why did you schedule it when you had work? Her mom did. Why did she? Then I explained: This is a responsible position. She works so that *I* can work. I need to work. If I did not work I would be home with my boys and thus not need her. This puts me in a bind. And, really... kinda sucks.

I don't think I was harsh.. but I was very direct. This has been happening too much & the last thing I need in my life is more stress!

So she emailed me. She thinks it's best if she stops working. It's too much. That it is a responsible position and she has too much in her life now... she will stay until I find somebody - help me train the other person...

And she's right. And actually, for a 16 year old - she's very mature. But she is 16 & this is a busy time in her life.. and it is too much pressure (on both of us!) for her to be doing this.

So I'm off to find a new sitter.

And you know what the kicker is? The absolute KICKER!?! My mom. She said to me: "Well, if you hire a 16 year old she'll have too much going on in her life... it will be hard." Ugh! How do they always know?!?! How?!?

(And oh, my monitor has gone green [ordered a new one] so I can't see the yellow on spell check. I double checked... but.. you know... life without spell check...)

3 comments:

Family Adventure said...

Oh no, that's not good news. Hope you'll be able to find someone else soon.

And truth be told, if you are able to find someone who is responsible enough to not spring these things on you, you will probably be better off.

But it is a pain to find a new one. You always worry - are they nice, will the boys like them, etc., etc. I've been there, too.

Good luck!

Oh, and moms always know. They just do. You will, too.

Heidi :)

Gwen said...

Ugh! Sorry.

Hope you can find a fantastic new sitter soon.

Julie Pippert said...

As frustrating and potentially aggravating as this probably is (BTDT) it's ending about as well as possible. I'm glad she's waiting until you have something and I hope you find a great new sitter soon.

I learned this lesson the hard way with a young college student who left in a BIG lurch at the last minute for the entire week of spring break.

I made very different childcare decisions after that.

Julie
Using My Words