Friday, July 11, 2008

Who says I jump the gun?!?

Yeah. So. Yesterday Max goes to me: "Mom, what if I wet the bed at the overnight?" Aha! My chance! I knew it! I knew he'd come around and be worried! What else could I ask for, right?!?

I said "Well [because I knew you'd be worried I already worried for you and figured it out!] the doctor says there's a pill you can take so you won't." He looks happy. I strain my arm from patting myself on the back.

Then.

"But Mom. What if the pill doesn't work?"

Sputter sputter cough cough

"I said what if it doesn't work? I don't want to go."

"But, but -- Max - you don't have to decide right now. Talk to Daddy. Talk to J. Talk to Grandma or Grandpa... you have until Monday/Tuesday to decide."

"MOM! I don't want to go!!"

"I know, I know - and you don't have to... but we don't have to decide right now. How about a pull up?"

(Have you ever seen an eight year old give a "are you friggin out of your mind" look? Imagine that.)

"Ok. So nix the pull up."

"Mom. I know you might not think this is an intelligent decision. I know you say I should try new things, and this pill is a new thing. But I've thought about it and my decision is I don't want to sleep over."

(Pulling jaw off chest.) Ok. Fine. Absolutely fine.

But, I had already put a call in to the pediatrician and one of the other doctors in the practice called me back today. I didn't know the name of the medication, but told this doctor what it was supposed to do. She says: "Oh. They used to prescribe that. Now they do more behavioral modification. I don't even know the name of the medication - we never even learned about it!"

Did I mention that this is the same practice that prescribed the belladonna/phenobarbital for Max?

The doctor told me the name of the medication, told me to research it & call back on Monday if I still want it. The medication is desmopressin. If you read about it I especially like the part where they say do not use if the child is active.

Or,specifically:
"They should also be very cautious during hot weather or following strenuous exercise that may make them thirsty."

So, I figure using it at a day camp sleep over, where they'll be doing all sorts of sports, in the summer... it'll be fine. Right?

Oy.

So, he's going to stay for the late night/cook out part & come home by 9 pm with Nathan. And he made the intelligent decision by himself.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Wow - sounds like he's got sound instincts and is willing to stand up for them. I'm impressed!